A mitred corner gives your project a crisp, clean, professional finish. And the bonus is they're not hard at all to do.
Let's get started.
Before you begin you need to decide what size of a hem you would like to have or at least how much of a hem you'd like to have showing.
In this demonstration and for my table cloth I decided I wanted to have a 1/2 inch hem showing on the underside and so I added 1 inch to each of my sides for the hem.
Example: If I was making a napkin and I wanted the finished napkin to be 14 inches x 14 inches I would cut the fabric 16 inches x 16 inches.
 |
On the wrong side of the fabric fold each side in 1 inch and press with iron to create a crease.
|
 |
On the wrong side of the fabric fold each side in 1 inch and press with iron to create a crease.
|
 |
Open the fabric back out. In the corner you should have a square creased into the fabric.
Draw a diagonal line through the square and cut off the corner. |
 |
Draw another diagonal line parallel to the cut.
Fold the fabric down along this line and press to create another crease. |
 |
| Fold sides inward along crease and press. |
 |
| Fold again and press. |
 |
| Pin the hem in place. |
 |
Stitch close to the inside fold.
Pivot: At the corner leave the needle in the fabric (down position), lift presser foot and rotate fabric.
Sew completely around the project and don't forget to back stitch at the beginning and ending.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment